Monday, November 12, 2007

More thoughts on being a transfer student...

I remember the elation I felt at finally transferring to the UC system. I had maintained a 4.0+ at the community college level. When I opened the acceptance letter I felt that I had really accomplished something. Then I went to the transfer student orientation for my major. The speaker, a female administrator, told the gathered transfer students that we basically did not know what hard work was and that our glowing GPA's meant nothing. We were starting at the UC with an empty slate. Her philosophy was that the community college system had coddled us and that now the real work would begin. She expected many of us to drop off the radar after a few quarters of this new academic rigor. I began to wonder why we had all been accepted if we were obviously sporting inflated GPA's. I wondered if these were just scare-tactics meant to jolt the younger transfer students. I searched the faces of those in the audience and found that there were perhaps two in the crowd that looked in their late 20's, the rest were 18-19. As her address continued I found that most of her suggestions for academic success were things I personally had applied to my studies up to that point. I wondered how I could possible do more. She suggested that if we worked we should quit. If we lived off-campus we should move on-campus. I had hoped that my family finances would be such that once I did transfer I could quit my job and attend full-time for the last two years of my degree program. As life would have it things did not go as planned. I would be attending part-time, working full-time and living an hour and a half to two-hour commute away from campus. I began to quake a bit in my boots. I later went to the orientation BBQ and sat alone on a knoll in the park watching the students amassed below. I asked myself, "What am I doing here?" But I continued to feel fortunate to be accepted and I put my blinders on and forged ahead. I went to a counseling appointment during the first quarter and was told that I should meet my faculty advisor. I made an appointment. I asked her to look over my schedule of classes to see if I was heading in the right direction. She said it looked as if I was, then she sat back in her chair and said, "You alternative students, I wish you could just take the time to smell the roses. You are always so focused on graduation. I wish you could veer off course and take some anthropology classes or history classes and really get the best out of your time here." That was the extent of her advice. I later had her for a class and really enjoyed the class, but I have not gone back to confer with her again. Hers was the only advice directed at me, the alternative student, and unfortunately I was not able to apply it to my experience. Real life and what ifs do not co-exist. I feel as if it is a miracle that I am here, practically at the end of my journey, intact. Sometimes I wonder how different my experience would have been if I had attended full-time, didn't have financial pressures, started when I was younger. But I can only speak to the experience I have had. It has been a long road, it has changed me and I am glad that I continued to put one foot in front of the other. Still trying to find "returning student advice for older persons" and still finding very little.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rebecca said...

I am a transfer student from Long Beach City College. My orientation experience left the impression that I was only welcome at UCI for a limited time therefore I had to rush through and take the maximum course load. The option of taking less than sixteen units per quarter was frowned upon by the counseling staff.
I have to work at least thirty hours a week to pay my frugal living expenses. I live in Long Beach which is more affordable than Irvine. Thus I spend about $50 dollars a week on gas and commute about 12 hours per week.
The effect of my orientation experience resulted in taking the maximum number of classes along with my 30 hour work schedule. During midterms and exams I was extremely overwhelmed and stressed. My second to last quarter at UC Irvine I found out how easy, convenient, and possible it is to be a part time student. I believe I would have had a better experience at UCI if the orientation information was not misleading.