Tuesday, December 4, 2007

One "On-line Degree" Anecdote

My search for information regarding student experiences with on-line degree programs has yielded only testimonials for institutions hawking on-line degrees. This has been frustrating for me because I would really like to satisfy my own curiosity about which institutions, if any, have credibility in the academic community. However, I recently spoke with a female acquaintance who decided to complete her Masters online and can at least relate her anecdotal account.
This individual, who I will call Annette, had the bulk of her credits and began to inquire about completing on-line the Organizational Management Masters degree that she had begun in an on-campus program in Michigan. She is a busy professional and single parent whose job demands cross-country travel. The ability to complete her degree on-line was quite appealing. She had also decided to switch from Organizational Management to an MBA. She told me she was astonished at how quickly the institution she chose accepted her accumulated credits and allowed her to apply them to an MBA instead. She said "They couldn't cash my check fast enough." Initially she was pleased with the convenience and flexibility, but some aspects of the experience have been troublesome. Classmates in her program are able to contact each other via email to discuss projects, etc. One particular classmate has been consistently asking for help and it is clear that this individual neither understands the material nor the assignments. My friend wonders how she qualified for the Masters program without the ability to engage in the coursework or complete assigned tasks without hand-holding by the other members of the class. Her emails all begin with "I don't understand." This has put Annette and her fellow program members in the position of ignoring emails from this student.
This was one aspect of the on-line experience that my friend did not anticipate and does not appreciate. She assumed that her peers in the program would be well-qualified. This anecdotal account of her program has devalued Annette's degree in my mind, as it seems that the incentive of the institution is primarily monetary. If they have failed to screen-out an unqualified candidate for an MBA while willingly accepting her tuition, what credibility does that degree hold? I would like to have another account of an on-line degree experience to counter this one...I will keep searching.

1 comment:

Sarah Cradeur said...

Hey I just wanted to say that I think it is great that you decided to go back to school! My mom decided to start taking classes again a while ago and I have watched her try to juggle all the same things that you are talking about, so I understand how hard it can be. But I am so proud of her for doing it! And I can tell she is a lot happier because of it so I am sure it is a good decision. I think that the student who asked you about why you are not taking online classes was very rude and you should not have to think about a response because there is no reason that you should be here or not be here besides that fact that this is what you want to do. And anyone who has had an education up to this point should realize that by now.
I did think it was interesting what your friend told you about her online class experience however. I have thought about perhaps continuing my education slowly online after graduating this year, but I was unsure about how well it worked, as you seem to be. I imagine there are different programs and ways that the class is dealt with, but I know I would not appreciate a confused fellow student always emailing me. That was good to know so thank you. Anyway, good luck with everything and congrats on your upcoming graduation! Please let us 'young' people cause you to feel out of place!