I was notified by email last week that I will graduate with honors, cum laude. I was so happy when I found out because I wasn't told I was eligible to graduate with honors until my last degree check. At that meeting with an academic advisor I was told that 12% of my graduating class are eligible and that I would be notified before graduation if I was among that percentage. I know at one point I was told that part-time students were exempt and I labored grumpily under that notion thinking those who must attend part-time surely should also be recognized for excellence given the challenge of the circumstances that dictate their part-time enrollment in the first place. So this honor comes as a wonderful surprise. I was also invited to join the Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society. The universe obviously knew I needed a bit of a boost last week. I am honored and validated by both distinctions. Over the past 12 years (of chipping away at this long sought-after degree) there were many occasions when I was at my wit's end or running on complete Empty. During each of those instances of doubt or fatigue there always came an angel, in one guise or another, to carry me forward. Whether a special professor with unsolicited words of encouragement or praise for a particular piece of writing, or an expression of belief in my abilities from a cherished family member or friend, I was given a shot of academic adrenaline each time. These angels, with their kindnesses, literally nudged me along on the path to my goal. You all know who you are and I love and thank you and please know that you each share in the recognition I am enjoying this week!! My advice for adult students...look for your angels...they are everywhere...and they will sustain you as you put one foot in front of the other on your road to graduation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment