Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Getting Ready to Walk

I had a funny conversation with my godson last night. I had not seen him for quite a while and we were catching up on his academic journey and mine. He is a brainiac. Physics degree undergrad and a masters in Mathematics. He is going for his PhD. in Mathematics and plans to do "pure math." I just earned my BA in English so I understand about a nano-percent of what he talks about conversationally but we still had a great talk. Anyway, in the grips of getting ready for the big walk on Saturday as well as an Honors Convocation and Phi Beta Kappa ceremony, I shared my thoughts of anxiety with him and he said, "That's why I didn't walk...I was too old." He got his masters at 26 or 27!! I am 48 and nervous about walking with my much younger fellow graduates. I found his comment hilarious in light of my own jitters about walking with twenty-somethings.

No comments: